Penboscot Bay Press Compass Logo

Penobscot Bay Press
Community Information Services

News Feature

Stonington
Originally published in Island Ad-Vantages, January 23, 2014
Moose Island shop burns
Siding melts; house saved from flames

A fire destroys shop on Moose Island in Stonington

A shop at the home of Brad Rice and Leslie McDonald-Rice caught fire on Sunday, January 19. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, though Stonington Fire Chief David Thompson thinks the cause may have been a battery charger stored in the shop.

Photo courtesy of Leslie McDonald-Rice

by Jessica Brophy

A workshop at the home of Brad Rice and Leslie McDonald-Rice on Moose Island is considered a complete loss after it caught fire on Sunday, January 19.

The family was home at the time and was able to vacate the residence safely. The Rice family also has several animals, none of which were harmed in the fire.

The call for the fire came in at 7:15 p.m., according to Stonington Fire Chief David Thompson. “When we arrived the fire was fully involved, with embers,” he said. To complicate matters, the wind was blowing from the southwest at 30 miles per hour.

The flames from the shop were hot enough to melt the siding on the Rice home, which is approximately 40 or 50 feet from the shop.

Though the cause hasn’t been determined yet, Thompson says he believes it to be related to a battery charger which was operating in the shop.

Stonington, Deer Isle, Brooklin and Sedgwick fire departments responded to the call, as well as the Memorial Ambulance Corps, said Thompson. There were no injuries while fighting the blaze.

Though a fund had been established to support the Rice family, the family has said insurance coverage will likely be sufficient and urges those interested in donating to help to instead support the local fire departments, especially the Stonington Fire Department, and the Memorial Ambulance Corps.

Firefighters peruse damage at the Moose Island home

Area firefighters peruse damage at the Moose Island home of the Rice family. The shop was a complete loss, but the family’s home was spared.

Photo courtesy of Leslie McDonald-Rice
A fire destroys shop on Moose Island in Stonington

A shop at the home of Brad Rice and Leslie McDonald-Rice caught fire on Sunday, January 19. The cause of the fire has yet to be determined, though Stonington Fire Chief David Thompson thinks the cause may have been a battery charger stored in the shop.

Photo courtesy of Leslie McDonald-Rice